Saudi Arabia bombs Yemen over shipment of weapons for separatists that arrived from UAE

Saudi Arabia calls on Yemen separatists to leave 2 governorates as anti-Houthi coalition strains Saudi Arabia calls on Yemen separatists to leave 2 governorates as anti-Houthi coalition strains
This is a locator map for Yemen with its capital, Sanaa. (AP Photo) (The Associated Press)

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Saudi Arabia on Tuesday said it bombed the port city of Mukalla in Yemen over a shipment of weapons for a separatist force there that arrived from the United Arab Emirates.

The attack signals a new escalation in tensions between the kingdom and the Southern Transitional Council, which is backed by the Emirates. It also further strains ties between Riyadh and Abu Dhabi, which had been backing competing sides in Yemen’s decadelong war against the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels.

A military statement carried by the state-run Saudi Press Agency announced the strikes, which it said came after ships arrived there from Fujairah, a port city on the UAE’s eastern coast.

“Given the danger and escalation posed by these weapons, which threaten security and stability, the Coalition Air Forces conducted a limited military operation this morning targeting weapons and combat vehicles unloaded from the two ships at the port of al-Mukalla,” it said.

There was no immediate comment from the UAE.

The Associated Press

author avatar
The Canadian Press
Add a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *